#LDOC! and On the NPR Clock

Well ok, my LDOC as such was actually yesterday. If one can call it that. My “summer” is a week long. Well I’ll take the little break while it lasts.

First semester of Grad School 2 in the books, and unless my interpretation of the results are incorrect I’ve managed two A’s. In any event, it is indisputable that I’ve gotten off to a better start. Things tend to work out more favorably once one finds something about which one can be passionate.

Speaking of that, I have dove in and applied for Internship at NPR’s Morning Edition. Are you kidding me? Anything there or at a local station would be a much welcome opportunity, as I’ve wanted to do this sort of thing for ages. The deadline for application is May 22, so I guess I won’t hear from them before that. We shall see, though.

With no grad school work due today and a fairly gloomy, if not straight cold! one out, I was quite productive with regards to my application. I had to get three references, which I managed as I guess most folks are kind of just taking a day inside. I also pounded out what I hope was a decent enough cover letter to at least portray what I would bring to the table.

I certainly am feeling more confident about my writing, as even more things are falling into place. I am up for publicity by my university for a piece I wrote about starting their graduate program. It is exciting, because a major publishing company sponsors this and pays, both good things for my resume and pocket. I signed a contract, and so am officially a freelance writer.

So much to ponder these days, that it’s a wonder I manage to get any sleep. I did today though, crawling out of bed and schlepping to the Waffle House for a delicious breakfast amidst the crowds. I just… needed that.

This brief interlude between semesters has me contemplating previous LDOC’s, or as we called them back in my ancient school days, last day of class. I always felt a rush of excitement, with those beautiful days sprawling in front of me.

One of the most traumatic such days I experienced, and I use that term loosely as it wasn’t a serious incident but did rattle me a bit, occurred during my fourth grade year. I had been given a deflated balloon at our class party. As I walked along toward the bus that would ferry me home and to months of freedom, I puffed on, and soon forgot I was still puffing on, that balloon. Till, “POP!” right… in my face! I still can’t take popping of balloons till this day. Do you have any such silly memory of something that happened to you on the last day of school? More soon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *